The iPhone Dev Team has successfully jailbroken the new iPad, but there has been no indication of the release of a jailbreak tool at the moment. MuscleNerd tweeted photos of the Jailbreak along with the disclaimer “Just a first step, still lots of work to do! No ETA!”
It appears that there are several potential paths to a jailbreak:
- We can confirm that the method used to jailbreak the iPad2 4 months ago still works even in 5.1. That means we’ll at least be able to get our foot in the door to get the required kernel dumps on the iPad3. That’s an important step, but by no means is it the end of the story.
- Those of you following @i0n1c may have noticed he’s already tweeted pictures of his iPad2 jailbroken at 5.1. As far as we know, he’s using a method completely unrelated to the one mentioned above. That would be great news!
- We’ve also seen bits and pieces of an entirely different jailbreak method being investigated by someone close to the Cydia repo scene.
- That’s three different angles, and we’re not even including the continuous work @pod2g makes towards a new jailbreak!
The infamous Germany based iOS hacker involved in the jailbreak scene Stefan Esser, more commonly known as i0n1c who was previously responsible for research and work which ended in a jailbreak for iOS 4 which spanned three software updates and was heavily involved behind the scenes in the production of the Absinthe based jailbreak. I0n1c has once again been showing off his jailbreak ninja skills, first of all by being the first to showcase a jailbreak for the iPad 2 running iOS 5.1 and now the show has shifted towards the iPhone Dev Team’s front man MuscleNerd, who has successfully jailbroken the new iPad in its full glory running iOS 5.1. He posted screenshot on Twitter showing off the new iPad running the latest build of Cydia, which is 1.1.5:
While folks out there were still trying to score themselves the new iPad, MuscleNerd used his skills to bypass Apple’s restrictions and get our beloved Cydia working.
In the meantime, for those of you who own A4 devices (iPhone 4, iPad 1, iPod touches) can jailbreak the latest iOS 5.1 (tethered), and iOS 5.0.1 (untethered) using Redsn0w, Sn0wbreeze. For those with A5 devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2) on iOS 5.0.1 can use Absinthe on Windows or Mac.
Update # 1: Stefen Esser posted a video showing untethered jailbreak for the new iPad -
iH8Sn0w has released Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 to jailbreak iOS 5.1 tethered on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G and iPad 1. Sn0wbreeze supports non-A5 devices on iOS 5.1 which are exploitable to GeoHot’s Limera1n exploit. You can download Sn0wbreeze for Windows from the links below.
- Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 jailbreak for iOS 5.1 supports iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G and iPad 1.
- No A5-devices support (iPhone 4S, iPad 2)
- If you are lucky enough to have an iPhone 3GS old bootrom, Snowbreeze 2.9.2 will jailbreak iOS 5.1 untethered for you.
- Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 also fixes iPad baseband and iPhone 2G. It also brings back the iPhone Dev-Team’s iPhone 2G permanent unlock ‘BootNeuter’.
Download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2
Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 is available for Windows only. Here’s the download link:
Why is there no A5 support? :~(
A low level (DFU/iBoot/LLB) exploit is required to start the restoration of custom IPSWs. The past two jailbreaks (JailbreakMe & absinthe) for the A5 worked within iOS itself. These exploits are not capable of bringing the iDevice into a state where it will accept custom IPSWs. Therefore, an A5 device cannot currently downgrade to an iOS revision that Apple is no longer signing (even with SHSH blobs) and it cannot preserve the baseband when updating to a newer iOS revision.
While the future may always seem to get more narrower… Keep your head high and continue to be open minded.
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G, 3G
- iPad 1
Download RedSn0w 0.9.10b6
RedSn0w 0.9.10b6 is available for both Windows and Mac OS. You can download it from the links below:
It’s a tethered jailbreak which requires you to connect your device to your computer, every time you reboot your device, and use “Just Boot” feature in RedSn0w to boot in into jailbreak mode. If you turn on the device without using “Just Boot” feature, jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
It’s untethered jailbreak iOS 5.1 for iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) users.
UltraSn0w unlockers MUST use RedSn0w to create Custom IPSW. and then restore using that custom firmware. AVOID STOCK FIRMWARE. UltraSn0w will be updated with iOS 5.1 support in a couple of days (no new baseband support)
From Dev-Team official Blog:
we realize that some of you non-A5 jailbreakers are itching to get to 5.1, even though there seems to be no compelling new feature there. Because of geohot’s limera1n exploit, those with devices earlier than the iPad 2 can test the 5.1 jailbreak waters if they really want to, using redsn0w 0.9.10b6. Here’s what you need to know:
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak both MB and MC versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w
Apple released iOS 5.1 alongside the new iPad 3 and new Apple TV. The update brings a variety of new features and bug fixes to iOS including the ability to delete images from Photo Stream, camera shortcut visible by default on lock screen, improved camera face detection, Japanese language support for Siri, genius mixes for iTunes Match, updated AT&T network indicator, improved battery life, and more.
You can get the iOS 5.1 software update directly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by using OTA Update, or you can update through iTunes or by downloading the IPSW and performing a manual upgrade.
Download iOS 5.1
iOS 5.1 (build 9B176) is compatible with iPad 1, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch 3rd & 4th gen, and iPad 3. Additional builds are available for Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3.
- iPad 1
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 GSM (AT&T)
- iPad 2 CDMA (Verizon)
- iPad 2,4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 GSM (AT&T)
- iPhone 4 CDMA (Verizon)
- iPhone 4S
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi
- iPad 3 GSM
- iPad 3 CDMA
- Apple TV 2 (9B179b1)
- Apple TV 3 (9B179b1)