How To Jailbreak Your iOS Device Using Absinthe (Windows)
This guide is for Windows only and will teach you how to jailbreak various iOS devices using the newly released tool, Absinthe. The current version of Absinthe is 0.3. It should be noted that this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning that you will be able to reboot your phone just like you normally would at any time.
This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations:
- iPhone 4S | 5.0 (9A334)
- iPhone 4S | 5.0.1 (9A405)
- iPhone 4S | “other” 5.0.1 (9A406)
- iPad2 (CDMA) | 5.0.1 (9A405)
- iPad2 (GSM) | 5.0.1 (9A405)
- iPad2 (Wi-Fi) | 5.0.1 (9A405)
It should also be noted that the team that put this jailbreak together included both Saurik and MuscleNerd, both of which are core members of the iPhone Dev Team; three members of the Chronic Dev Team including posixninja, pod2g, and nikias; and the legendary planetbeing, who is the iOS hacker/developer who is responsible for initially porting both Android and Linux to the iPhone) is accepting donations. Feel free to donate via PayPal if you want to show some support.
PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING:
Absinthe create a backup and restores it onto your device as part of the way it gets files on the device, so we recommend the device is mostly empty when you start the process. To do this, it is advised to create a backup in in iTunes first (connect to iTunes and sync). If you are using iCloud to backup, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup > Backup Now.
Once you have backed up, on your device go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. As mentioned, make sure you have a backup of your content first. You don’t need to Erase All Content and Settings if you don’t want to, but the jailbreak could take up to 20-30 minutes to complete if you don’t, depending on your device that is.
Follow the steps below to successfully jailbreak your iOS device:
- Download the Windows version of Absinthe 0.3 from the following link (http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-win-0.3.zip)
- Once downloaded, double click the zip file to unzip it if your browser didn’t already automatically unzip the file.
- (Make sure your device is connected first) Double-click Absinthe to launch it and you will see the Absinthe home screen. Absinthe at this point should tell you what device and firmware version is detected.
- Press the jailbreak button. Once you do this, Absinthe will go through a few status messages while it jailbreaks your device. It will stop for a bit at Waiting for reboot – not done yet, don’t unplug your device yet!
- Once the device has finished rebooting, it will continue the jailbreak. During this process, do not touch or unplug your iOS device.
- Once the process has finished in Absinthe, it will alert you to unlock the screen if necessary and tap “Absinthe” icon to finish the jailbreak. Remember, the icon may not be on the first pay, so you might have to scroll to find it.
- Tapping the icon will bring up a webview with a white page, and then your device will restart. Just a quick note: If you see an “Error establishing database connection” error or a white screen, which lasts longer than 1 minute, please go to Settings and turn on VPN, and wait instead. The VPN connection will give an error (which is normal). At this point, a reboot should happen a few moments after the error.
- You will see the Apple logo with a progress bar quickly as the device restarts and then your device will power back on. Just a quick note: The Set Up iPhone (or iPad) GUI you see when you restore an iOS Device will now appear. If you backed up with iCloud at the beginning of this tutorial, please choose Restore from iCloud Backup in the Set Up iPhone GUI, and restore from the backup you took at the beginning of this guide. The iDevice will then restore from backup, reboot, and you’re good to go.
- Cydia is now on your device where the Absinthe icon was before!
Boom! You’re now holding a jailbreak iOS device!
If you have any questions feel free to leave them below or tweet us. We’ll help where we can!